Wednesday, May 11, 2011

CHICKENS!!!

We finally got our chickens! YAY :D
Most of these are our egg layers the New Hampshires. There are a few Broilers running around in there.

Here is another picture.

Here is the 2nd box...just broilers in here.

close up!!

We ended up having to use the 3rd box. We were going to try to wait a week to conserve a little energy, but they were just too wild. So we split them up, the 10 egg layers, and split the broilers into the other 2 boxes.

Ok so this has nothing to do with chickens, but I had to show some progress on the garden. Here are some strawberries forming.

Strawberry bush, the rosemary bush did not perk up and leaf like it was supposed to, so I am planning on ripping it out this week.

Here is my 1st and 2nd wave of onions from indoors. Doing GREAT!

My broccoli bed doing wonderful.

All done from seeds indoors in an egg carton.

Potato bed. Red potatoes took off immediately. Russets, not so much. They just started to sprout finally. Good thing too because I was about to dig them up and replant.

Red potato....gorgeous!

Another angle of my potato bed.

My one zucchini.

My 2 transplanted kidney beans.

My transplanted peas.

Sweet corn. The corn stalk top left, you can see the pole bean starting to open up and grow. :) Just waiting on the pumpkins.

Sorry, so proud....had to do another shot. :)


Carrots are dead, had to start over and found an old trough to use as a container, dug up some dirt, mixed in some potting soil and reseeded. Pickling cucumbers also dead. Had to restart with those and still having a problem with my beans....seems to be almost all of them. 1st was too much water, then a worm....now....no idea. Maybe its the soil. We are starting up a compost bin and I raked up a whole pile of grass clippings and put in a bunch of kitchen scraps and coffee grounds. Going to ask Starbucks tomorrow for some when I go to kiddo #2's physical therapy appointment next door. I have heard they give them away for free. :) After the season is over we are going to be re tilling everything up and putting compost and peat moss into it and hoping to put more nutrients into to get a healthier crop and a less frustrated gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment