Saturday, January 5, 2013

Something new

Sorry again for no pictures I will get some up very soon, promise!
Well I made homemade laundry soap for the first time last week and it was easier and so much cheaper then buying store bought soap. I actually got it from the Duggars. I bought a 5 gallon bucket from Home Depot and it filled the whole thing and is pretty thick. Its concentrated which is also nice. You are supposed to get 2 5 gallon buckets worth after diluting it. Which is good for us because we go through so much! Here is the recipe:
Ingredients:
1 bar of soap
4 cups HOT tap water
1 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax

Directions:
1. Grate bar of soap and add to sauce pan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is fully melted.
2. Fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full with HOT tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and borax. Stir until dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot tap water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
3. Stir, fill a used, clean laundry soap container 1/2 full with soap concentrate and fill the rest of the way with water. Shake before each use, it will gel.

I have a small bit of store bought to get through yet before I use this, but if the Duggar family uses it for all their laundry and have no problems then I am sure we will be just fine as well. I will let you all know when I get to using it how the laundry turns out.

On another note we were talking about letting our chickens be true free range chickens. We haven't done it before because of our dog Diesel. Well one of the newer roosters we were going to be butchering next weekend got out and I just let him go to see what happens...he has a better chance of defending himself then a hen right now. Well that was about 4 days ago and today when I went to go feed the animals, there he was to greet me! He has been roosting in a shed by the chicken coop! Diesel was out with me when I was feeding and he wouldn't go anywhere near the rooster! Super excited! Planning on maybe letting another newer rooster out to just make sure before I let the hens out.

We also have a nice plan going for what we are doing for the season coming up. We are expanding again and it looks like it time to make a new shelter for the pigs. A wooden barn in not a good idea with 3 HUGE pigs.....they are destroying it and we are doing more maintenance work on it then we can keep up with some weeks. So, we are talking about building a concrete one for them.

Alright time to go, hope you all had a good New Year!
Happy 2013!
The Smiths.

No comments:

Post a Comment