Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Getting started in a new area

We have talked for a year now about breeding our animals. Well we have been looking for a New Hampshire Rooster to mate with our New Hampshire Hens....we have looked everywhere and just decided to buy one as a chick from the local farm store and  was getting the early order in and as I was talking about the rooster situation and the one lady that works there was looking to get rid of one! Praise God! He has answered a prayer of mine! He definitely works in mysterious and wonderful ways. :) What comes along with breeding is more of the unknown and it can get daunting at times ....since there are so many things I don't know about farming and animals and I learn a new thing every day! Chickens seem to the easiest to breed first. We plan to separate 2 hens and the rooster into the old broiler pen and just let them take care of business on their own and let nature take its course. After the hen has the eggs with babies we will need to make sure she is incubating them the way she is supposed to and then after they hatch, brood them. We do have all the equipment in case the hens decide they don't want to be mamas.

On another note the onion seeds I planted have sprouted. Its been a little over a week and we already have 32 seeds sprouted! I will be starting more onions, some tomatoes, and broccoli next week! Need to get more of the seed room completed to handle those extra seeds!

My computer is not allowing me to upload pictures right now....so bear with me and I will try to get the progress photos up ASAP! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment